Thursday, February 28, 2013

Report from 2nd Catacoustic Scholarship Winner, Micah Fusselman



Micah Fusselman is the second recipient of the Catacoustic Consort's Early Music Scholarship. He wrote the following summary report of his award, which contributed toward the purchase of a viola da gamba by John Pringle. Scholarships are made possible in-part by private contributions and the annual yardsale fundraiser. If you would like to contribute to the scholarship fund, contact info@catacoustic.com.

I’m very happy to report the completion of my viola da gamba purchasing project! I am now the proud owner of a 7-string bass viol by John Pringle, with a good bow and case. Good thing it’s here; I have much practice to do for upcoming performances, and also young students who have expressed interest in learning to play gamba—cello is getting to be a little passé.

As many already know, this project began in Cincinnati, but has ended in Omaha, Nebraska where I moved with my family this summer to take up a cello studio. My teacher, colleague, and friend Annalisa Pappano foresaw my departure and aspired to help me secure my own instrument so that I would not be forced to leave gamba playing behind when it was time to leave Cincinnati. It began with a grant-in-aid from the VdGSA, continued with incredibly generous private donations, and achieved full funding with a scholarship from the Catacoustic Consort. With all of the help, it would be futile to try to name all of the people who contributed to the success of this project, but I can say with no hesitation that none of it would have been possible without the astounding support of Cincinnati’s Early Music community. To these friends I give my most heart-felt thanks, for encouragement, friendship, and the opportunity to continue sharing the music that I love. Thank you.

Micah Fusselman

No comments: